Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has ordered the immediate redeployment of security personnel, including the Camp Commandant, who barred his supporters from entering the Government House during a celebration of his Supreme Court victory on Friday.
The governor, who condemned the incident, said the action of the security operatives was unauthorized and went against the spirit of the event, which was meant to appreciate the people who stood by him.
Earlier that day, hundreds of jubilant supporters—including market women and members of the All Progressives Congress (APC)—had gathered at the Benin Airport as early as 7 a.m. to welcome Okpebholo.
His flight arrived at 12:40 p.m., and the supporters joined his motorcade in a celebratory procession to the Government House.
However, upon arrival, security officers informed the crowd that only Very Important Personalities (VIPs) would be allowed into the venue for refreshments, sparking outrage among the loyalists who felt sidelined and disrespected.
Reacting through a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Fred Itua, Governor Okpebholo described the exclusion as unacceptable and contrary to his values as a leader of the people.
“The decision to restrict access did not come from me and does not reflect my beliefs,” the governor said.
“I am a product of the people and will never support actions that alienate or disrespect them. I have directed the immediate redeployment of the officers involved and set up a committee to investigate the matter.”
He assured supporters and stakeholders of his continued commitment to transparency, inclusion, and unity.
“This administration is built on openness and respect for all stakeholders.
Everyone who supported us remains an essential part of our mission to rebuild Edo State,” the statement added.
