Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Science
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Football
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
YFON
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Science
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Football
Subscribe
YFON
Home»News»BREAKING: Soludo shuts Onitsha main market for one week over sit-at-home compliance
News

BREAKING: Soludo shuts Onitsha main market for one week over sit-at-home compliance

AdeboyeBy AdeboyeNo CommentsJanuary 26, 20262 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Anambra State Governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, on Monday ordered the closure of the Onitsha Main Market for one week after traders reportedly failed to heed the state government’s directive to open for business on Mondays despite the sit-at-home order.

Soludo gave the directive during an on-the-spot assessment of the market, accompanied by top government officials and aides.

He warned that the shutdown could be extended if traders continued to stay away, stressing that the move was aimed at restoring normal economic activities and safeguarding residents.

The governor said security agencies had been directed to seal the market to ensure compliance, as he described the traders’ absence as a deliberate defiance of government efforts to reclaim public spaces and normalcy in the state.

According to him, many traders once again kept their shops locked despite assurances of improved security, a situation he said reflected the lingering atmosphere of fear.

“The government cannot stand by while a few individuals willfully undermine public safety and disregard official directives meant to restore normalcy.

This is plain economic sabotage,” Soludo was quoted as saying.
“We are not going to allow this. The closure is a protective measure for law-abiding citizens,” he added.

Soludo further threatened that the market could remain shut for a month if it failed to reopen after the one-week closure.

“You either decide that you are going to trade here or you go elsewhere. I am very serious about this,” he warned.

Our correspondent gathered that the enforcement was carried out amid tight security, as a joint task force comprising the police, army and other agencies was deployed around the market to secure the area.

The development has again brought to the fore the struggle by authorities in the South-East to end the Monday sit-at-home and restore economic activities across the region.

Meanwhile, PUNCH Online had reported that the Anambra State Government would begin pro-rata salary payments for workers as part of measures to discourage the sit-at-home.

The Commissioner for Information, Dr Law Mefor, had disclosed in Awka that from February 2026, civil servants would be paid based on their attendance on Mondays.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleKidnappers kill Oyo inspector during rescue operation
Next Article Police arrest 16-year-old drug suspect, nab three over kidnap, robbery

Related Posts

Gov Aiyedatiwa urges party members to elect officers in peaceful atmosphere

February 18, 2026

BREAKING: Saudi Arabia confirms crescent moon, Ramadan fasting to begin

February 17, 2026

BREAKING: Reps plunge into chaos over Electoral Act Amendment

February 17, 2026

BREAKING: Health Ministry orders immediate retirement of long-serving directors

February 17, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Sports
Sports

BREAKING: Chelsea appoint Rosenior as new head coach

By AdeboyeJanuary 6, 20260

BREAKING: Eagles name 23-man squad for must-win world cup qualifiers

October 3, 2025

JUST IN: Osimhen rejects €75m Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal move

June 8, 2025

Osimhen dances to Yinka Ayefele’s classic amidst family dispute

May 21, 2025

Awoniyi finally out of coma after abdominal surgery

May 15, 2025
Entertainment
Entertainment

JUST IN: ‘This year will not see my end’ — Allwell Ademola’s final post goes viral after death [Video]

By AdeboyeDecember 27, 20250

Iyabo Ojo becomes president of single mothers association

December 21, 2025

Alcohol consumption not sin – Popular gospel singer, Gaise Baba

August 26, 2025

Geh Geh University’: Tiktoker rakes in $30,000 from viral live session

August 22, 2025

Elderly man sparks online buzz after claiming to be Wizkid’s biological father

June 2, 2025
Finance
Finance

Naira gains ground as CBN intervenes, FPI inflows increase

By AdeboyeJune 23, 20250

Naira weakens further to N1,610/$ in parallel market

May 8, 2025
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok
  • Opinion
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Finance
© 2026 YemieFash Online News Platform. A subsidiary of YemieFash Media. Developed by Hexemty Technologies.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.