A pro-democracy group, the Concerned Pro-Democratic Activists of Nigeria, has appealed to President Bola Tinubu and the Federal Government to release military officers detained over an alleged coup plot, citing worsening health conditions and prolonged confinement.

As reported by PUNCH, the group said some of the officers, who have been in custody since October 2025, were reportedly falling ill in detention without adequate medical care.

The appeal followed the announcement by the then Director of Defence Information, Brigadier General Tukur Gusau, on October 4, 2025, that 16 officers had been arrested for breaches of military regulations and acts of indiscipline.

According to the military, investigations at the time indicated that the grievances of the arrested officers were largely linked to perceived career stagnation arising from repeated failure in promotion examinations.

However, reports later emerged suggesting that the arrests were connected to an alleged failed coup plot, amid speculation surrounding the Federal Government’s sudden cancellation of the Independence Day Parade on October 1, 2025.

Addressing journalists on Sunday in Lafia, the Nasarawa State capital, the group’s chairman, Yusuf Musa Dauda, expressed concern over what he described as the deteriorating health of some of the detained officers.

Dauda also lamented that family members had allegedly been denied access to the officers since their arrest, saying relatives were unable to see or communicate with them to ascertain their wellbeing.

He described the continued detention without trial as unacceptable in a democratic setting and urged the President to intervene.

“While we strongly condemn any act of overthrow of government undemocratically, we want to draw the attention of the public and make a passionate appeal particularly to the authorities concerned to look into the issue with fair judgment,” Dauda said.

He called on the Federal Government to ensure the officers receive proper medical attention and to allow them communicate with their families to ease concerns over their safety.

Dauda further urged authorities to either release the officers if there is no case against them or arraign them in court to allow due legal process take its course.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version