Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Tuesday remained in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for a second night, as his counsel, A.U. Mustapha (SAN), pressed for his release on bail.
Sources within the anti-graft agency indicated that the commission was weighing the option of securing a remand order to lawfully extend his detention beyond the initial period permitted, to allow investigators conclude their interrogation.
El-Rufai reportedly arrived at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja at about 10am on Monday in response to an invitation over an alleged N432bn fraud probe.
He was subsequently held in custody as investigators continued questioning him.
A senior official of the commission, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to comment publicly, dismissed reports circulating on social media that the former governor had been freed.
“He is still in our custody and will spend another night with us. Investigators are considering obtaining a remand order once the statutory 48-hour window elapses.
“There are several issues arising from his eight-year tenure that require clarification,” the source said.
In a telephone interview, Mustapha confirmed that his client remained with the commission but maintained that the former governor had been fully cooperative.
According to him, El-Rufai voluntarily honoured the invitation of the anti-graft agency and should be granted bail, having demonstrated that he is not a flight risk.
“He was invited and, as a responsible citizen, he honoured the invitation without hesitation, he is cooperating fully.
We believe the commission, in the interest of justice, will grant him bail. He is presumed innocent under the law and will not abscond,” the senior advocate said.
When asked to comment on the specific allegations against his client, Mustapha declined, insisting that only the EFCC could provide details of the investigation.
“That question is best directed to the commission. As his lawyer, I cannot speculate on matters under investigation,” he added, describing aspects of the interrogation as confidential.
The ongoing probe is said to stem from a report by an ad hoc committee of the Kaduna State House of Assembly constituted in 2024 to examine financial transactions, loans and contract awards executed between 2015 and 2023 during El-Rufai’s administration.
The panel, chaired by Henry Zacharia, had alleged that several loans secured within the period were either misapplied or not utilised for their stated purposes.
While presenting the report, the Speaker of the Assembly, Yusuf Dahiru Leman, alleged that about N423bn was siphoned during the former governor’s tenure.
The committee recommended the investigation and prosecution of El-Rufai and certain former cabinet members over alleged abuse of office, diversion of public funds, money laundering, irregular contract awards and reckless borrowing.
Petitions were subsequently forwarded to both the EFCC and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.
El-Rufai has, however, denied any wrongdoing, describing the allegations as politically driven.
He has consistently maintained that loans obtained under his administration were duly appropriated and deployed to fund infrastructure, education, healthcare and security projects in the state.
