Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Science
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Football
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
YFON
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Science
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Football
Subscribe
YFON
Home»News»Court remands bizman over alleged N230m scam using Peter Obi’s picture
News

Court remands bizman over alleged N230m scam using Peter Obi’s picture

AdeboyeBy AdeboyeNo CommentsFebruary 19, 20263 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Justice Chukwujekwu Aneke of the Federal High Court, Lagos Division, on Wednesday ordered the remand of a Lagos-based businessman, Adesiyan Kayode Olayinka, over an alleged N230 million foreign exchange investment fraud said to involve Artificial Intelligence-generated images of Peter Obi.

Olayinka was arraigned on a six-count charge instituted by the Federal Republic of Nigeria, bordering on conspiracy, obtaining money under false pretences, fraudulent advertisement and stealing, contrary to the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act and the Criminal Code Act.

The charges were read to the defendant in open court, and he pleaded not guilty to all counts.

Following the plea, the prosecution urged the court to remand the defendant in the custody of the Nigeria Correctional Service pending the determination of the case and also sought a definite date for trial.

Counsel to the defendant, however, informed the court that a bail application had been filed and duly served on the prosecution.

He prayed the court to entertain the application and admit his client to bail on liberal terms.

When asked to respond, the prosecutor said there was no opposition to the bail request but appealed to the court to fix a clear trial date.

Moving the motion dated February 17, 2026, defence counsel told the court that the application was backed by a 16-paragraph affidavit deposed to by the defendant’s wife.

In a short ruling, Justice Aneke ordered that the defendant be remanded at the Ikoyi Correctional Centre and adjourned till February 25, 2026, for ruling on the bail application.

According to the charge, the alleged offences were committed between July and October 2025 at No. 20 and No. 26 Sule Street, Mangoro, Ikeja, Lagos.

The prosecution alleged that the defendant, alongside others still at large, conspired to defraud unsuspecting investors by deploying cloned images and promotional materials of Obi to create the impression that he was affiliated with a forex trading and investment outfit identified as Modmut International.

Specifically, Olayinka was accused of obtaining N230 million from one Fredrick Amaechi under the guise of a forex trading partnership with the said firm.

The funds were reportedly paid through accounts maintained with FCMB, Sterling Bank, Ecobank and other financial institutions.

Prosecutors further alleged that the defendant used AI tools to replicate Obi’s image on his Facebook page, portraying the former presidential candidate as a participant or beneficiary of the investment scheme in order to lure members of the public.

He was also accused of diverting the funds for personal use without conducting any forex trading as claimed.

The offences are said to be punishable under relevant provisions of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act, 2016, as well as Sections 383 and 390(9) of the Criminal Code Act.

The defendant will remain in custody pending the court’s decision on his bail application.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleWoman dies in kidnappers’ den as family secures release of six victims in Ekiti

Related Posts

BREAKING: Rivers Assembly stops Fubara, Deputy’s impeachment move after Tinubu’s intervention

February 19, 2026

Canada revamps express entry, unveils fresh categories for foreign professionals

February 19, 2026

Gov Aiyedatiwa urges party members to elect officers in peaceful atmosphere

February 18, 2026

BREAKING: Saudi Arabia confirms crescent moon, Ramadan fasting to begin

February 17, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Sports
Sports

BREAKING: Chelsea appoint Rosenior as new head coach

By AdeboyeJanuary 6, 20260

BREAKING: Eagles name 23-man squad for must-win world cup qualifiers

October 3, 2025

JUST IN: Osimhen rejects €75m Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal move

June 8, 2025

Osimhen dances to Yinka Ayefele’s classic amidst family dispute

May 21, 2025

Awoniyi finally out of coma after abdominal surgery

May 15, 2025
Entertainment
Entertainment

JUST IN: ‘This year will not see my end’ — Allwell Ademola’s final post goes viral after death [Video]

By AdeboyeDecember 27, 20250

Iyabo Ojo becomes president of single mothers association

December 21, 2025

Alcohol consumption not sin – Popular gospel singer, Gaise Baba

August 26, 2025

Geh Geh University’: Tiktoker rakes in $30,000 from viral live session

August 22, 2025

Elderly man sparks online buzz after claiming to be Wizkid’s biological father

June 2, 2025
Finance
Finance

Naira gains ground as CBN intervenes, FPI inflows increase

By AdeboyeJune 23, 20250

Naira weakens further to N1,610/$ in parallel market

May 8, 2025
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok
  • Opinion
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Finance
© 2026 YemieFash Online News Platform. A subsidiary of YemieFash Media. Developed by Hexemty Technologies.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.