Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Science
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Football
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
YFON
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Science
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Football
Subscribe
YFON
Home»News»Supreme Court reserves judgment in 19 states’ suit challenging constitutionality of EFCC, others.
News

Supreme Court reserves judgment in 19 states’ suit challenging constitutionality of EFCC, others.

AdeboyeBy AdeboyeNo CommentsOctober 22, 20245 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Imo, Bauchi, Osun, Taraba join as Anambra, Adamawa, Ebonyi withdraw

The Supreme Court, on Tuesday, reserved judgment in the suit filed by 19 states challenging the constitutionality of the laws establishing the EFCC and two others to a date to be communicated to the parties.

The plaintiffs, in the suit marked: SC/CV/178/2023 had argued that the Supreme Court, in Dr. Joseph Nwobike Vs Federal Republic of Nigeria, had held that it was a UN Convention against corruption that was reduced into the EFCC Establishment Act and that in enacting this law in 2004, the provision of Section 12 of the 1999 Constitution, as amended, was not followed.

The argument was that, in bringing a convention into the Nigerian law, the provision of Section 12 must be complied with.

According to them, the provision of the Constitution necessitated the majority of the states’ Houses of Assembly agreeing to bringing the convention in before passing the EFCC Act and others, which was allegedly never done.

The argument of the states in their present suit, which they had reportedly been corroborated by the Supreme Court in the previous case mentioned, is that the law, as enacted, could not be applied to states that never approved of it, in accordance with the provisions of the Nigerian constitution.
Hence, they argued that any institution so formed should be regarded as an illegal institution.

At the resumed hearing on Tuesday, Imo, Bauchi and Osun states joined the suit as co-plaintiffs while Anambra, Ebonyi and Adamawa states announced their decisions to withdraw their suits.

The Attorney-General of the Federation, Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, who was present in court as the Defendant, had craved the court’s indulgence to take the process they filed on Tuesday morning.

Justice Uwani Abba-Aji thereby granted leave to the defendant to use the reply on point of law filed on Tuesday.

Mohammed Abdulwahab, SAN, who appeared for the 1st Plaintiff, pointed out that the amended processes filed by the AGF were different from what had initially been filed, noting that he had to refile his processes to answer to the fresh issues and facts.

The old processes were therefore struck out.

“I seek your lordship indulgence to adopt the processes. We urge your lordship to grant all the reliefs sought.

“The crux of our suit is the decision of this court. The counsel that represented the appellant in that suit by the rules of this Court Order 4, will be called to address this court. He participated in the bill that birthed the EFCC and ICPC together,” he said.

The judge asked who the Counsel was and Wahab, SAN, replied: Chief Kanu Agabi, SAN.

“Chief Kanu Agabi, SAN, told this court that it was the Convention of the UN that reduced this into law. Section 12, that provision was never followed.

“This fact was not an issue with the case of AG Ondo Vs AG Federation. So there is a specific provision for bringing a convention in. You cannot just be talking about Items 7 of 8.

“We are also challenging the foundation of those laws that created NIFU, EFCC, etc. in order not to create a constitutional crisis.

“We urge you to allow our appeal and award heavy cost in favour of the Plaintiff on record,” the Counsel said.

Responding, Fagbemi, SAN, contended that the case of AG Ondo v. AG Federation and other decisions had already settled all the issues raised in the Plaintiffs’ case and that the Supreme Court could not depart from those decisions. He therefore prayed that the suit be dismissed.

On AG Ekiti State Vs AGF, Counsel for the Defendant, T. A Gazali, SAN, pointed out that the state was not represented at the last sitting and was not also represented on Tuesday.

“We apply that the matter be struck out for want of diligent prosecution my lord,” Gazali prayed. This was granted.

The Attorney-General of Osun State, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, informed the court of their application for consolidation of their suit with that of Kogi State.

“We have an application before your lordship and with your kind permission, we are ready to proceed. It is an application for consolidation,” he said.

The judge, however, said the interesting thing about the case was that they were already part of the matter. “So why do you want to consolidate? Judgment has already been reserved.”

Justice Abba-Aji reserved judgment for a date to be communicated to the parties.

On Tuesday, the number of states challenging the constitutionality of the EFCC and others had climbed to 19, including Kogi State, despite the withdrawal of three states.
The court ruled that the judgment on Kogi State would be applied to Ogun, Nasarawa and Osun states that had earlier applied for consolidation.

The states in the suit Vs AGF are:
Kogi, Kebbi, Katsina, Sokoto, Jigawa, Enugu, Oyo, Benue, Plateau, Cross River, Ondo, Niger, Edo, Bauchi, Imo, Osun, Nasarawa, Ogun, Taraba.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticlePolice arrest suspected cultist seeking to buy AK-47
Next Article Breaking: Senate summons NDLEA over allegation against senator 

Related Posts

Aiyedatiwa commissions more projects to mark first anniversary

February 20, 2026

Aiyedatiwa speaks on impeachment rumour involving Deputy, Adelami

February 20, 2026

Tacha cautions against false rape claims after TikTok controversy

February 20, 2026

Ondo Assembly aspirant, Oyewale praises Aiyedatiwa over road projects

February 20, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Sports
Sports

BREAKING: Chelsea appoint Rosenior as new head coach

By AdeboyeJanuary 6, 20260

BREAKING: Eagles name 23-man squad for must-win world cup qualifiers

October 3, 2025

JUST IN: Osimhen rejects €75m Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal move

June 8, 2025

Osimhen dances to Yinka Ayefele’s classic amidst family dispute

May 21, 2025

Awoniyi finally out of coma after abdominal surgery

May 15, 2025
Entertainment
Entertainment

JUST IN: ‘This year will not see my end’ — Allwell Ademola’s final post goes viral after death [Video]

By AdeboyeDecember 27, 20250

Iyabo Ojo becomes president of single mothers association

December 21, 2025

Alcohol consumption not sin – Popular gospel singer, Gaise Baba

August 26, 2025

Geh Geh University’: Tiktoker rakes in $30,000 from viral live session

August 22, 2025

Elderly man sparks online buzz after claiming to be Wizkid’s biological father

June 2, 2025
Finance
Finance

Naira gains ground as CBN intervenes, FPI inflows increase

By AdeboyeJune 23, 20250

Naira weakens further to N1,610/$ in parallel market

May 8, 2025
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok
  • Opinion
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Finance
© 2026 YemieFash Online News Platform. A subsidiary of YemieFash Media. Developed by Hexemty Technologies.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.