Residents of Iluke, a prominent community in the Bunu District of Kabba-Bunu Local Government Area of Kogi State, were thrown into fear on Thursday after suspected bandits invaded the area and abducted a community health worker and his wife.
The victims, identified locally as “Dr Ebi,” also known as Omo Kemuna, and his wife, were reportedly kidnapped during a midnight attack on the Oke Bukun area of the community around 1 a.m.
Sources in the area said the armed men stormed the community under the cover of darkness and whisked the couple away on motorcycles after raiding their residence.
The health worker was said to operate a private clinic in nearby Oferre.
Residents disclosed that the attackers fired several gunshots into the air while fleeing the town, leaving many people in panic.
The latest incident has heightened tension across Iluke and neighbouring communities in Mopamuro and Ijumu local government areas, where fears over recurring attacks by gunmen have continued to spread.
Bunu District has witnessed repeated security breaches in recent months.
On May 4, suspected bandits reportedly ambushed travellers along the Iluke-Oferre road, shooting indiscriminately and forcing commuters to flee for safety.
During the attack, a commercial driver identified simply as Jacob was allegedly stopped at gunpoint and dragged into the forest by the assailants.
Family sources later revealed that the abductors demanded a ransom of N50m for his release and had maintained the demand.
Earlier in April, gunmen were also said to have abducted two wives, two children and an aide to the traditional ruler of Odai community, popularly known as Prof. Wonder.
The attackers allegedly demanded N150m ransom for the release of the victims.
Community sources claimed that when negotiations stalled, two of the monarch’s children were reportedly killed by the abductors, who later circulated disturbing images linked to the incident on social media.
The traditional ruler was said to have fallen ill and been hospitalised following the ordeal, while some of his relatives allegedly remained in captivity.
A source familiar with the development disclosed that the kidnappers recently insisted that the monarch must personally deliver the ransom or risk further harm to the remaining captives.
Efforts to get an official response from the Kogi State Police Command were unsuccessful as of the time of filing this report.
The command’s spokesperson, ASP Saliu Afusat Oyiza, reportedly promised to provide details after making enquiries but had yet to issue an update.
