The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on Monday arraigned an Abuja-based couple, Osabohein Ologbose and his wife, Hope Oghelemu, before the Federal High Court in Abuja over an alleged N740m fraud. The pair were docked before Justice Ekerete Akpan alongside two companies, Onome Global Market Resources Limited and Lexicon Multi-Concept Media Limited, on a seven-count charge bordering on obtaining by false pretence, conversion of funds and money laundering. The anti-graft agency said the alleged offences contravene Section 18(2)(b) and are punishable under Section 18(4) of the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022. According to the prosecution, between January 2023…
Author: Adeboye
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on Monday night detained former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, following hours of questioning over an alleged N432bn corruption probe. El-Rufai, who arrived at the commission’s Jabi headquarters in Abuja around 10am in response to an invitation, was interrogated over allegations linked to the 2024 report of the Kaduna State House of Assembly, which accused his administration of mismanaging loans, breaching due process in contract awards and plunging the state into heavy debt. Senior officials within the anti-graft agency told our correspondents that the investigation had been ongoing for about a year before the…
The Bauchi State Police Command has rescued a middle-aged man said to have been locked up and kept in chains by his father for about 17 years in Shadawanka village, Bauchi Local Government Area of Bauchi State. The command’s spokesman, SP Nafiu Habib, disclosed in a statement on Monday that the victim, identified as Muhammad Lawan, popularly called Babangida, was freed on Sunday, February 16, 2026, after a concerned resident alerted security operatives to his plight. Habib said a team of detectives, led by the Divisional Police Officer of ‘B’ Division and accompanied by the command’s spokesperson, stormed the residence…
Anambra State Police Command has apprehended four more suspects in connection with the brutal murder of three Cameroonians in Nando community, Anambra East Local Government Area. The State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, revealed yesterday that those arrested include Chukwuemeka Emmanuel (27), popularly called “Ugoebenajah” and alleged chief priest of a local shrine, alongside Nwabunne Bright (27), Chinecherem Chiama (21), and Michael Ekwunife (38). Ikenga said police recovered a cache of weapons and other items from the suspects, including two pump-action guns, a locally made Beretta pistol, a machete, assorted charms, expanded ammunition, 10 cartridges, and five 9mm…
The Federal Government has filed a three-count charge against a former Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai, accusing him of unlawfully intercepting the telephone communication of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu. The charges were instituted before the Federal High Court in Abuja by the Department of State Services on behalf of the government. According to the charge sheet, the ex-governor, who also served as Minister of the Federal Capital Territory under former President Olusegun Obasanjo, allegedly carried out the act in collaboration with other individuals said to be at large. The Federal Government further told the court that El-Rufai,…
Supporters and opponents of former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Monday thronged the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in Abuja as he arrived at the agency’s premises. The gathering, which took place at the commission’s Jabi office, saw demonstrators split into two camps. While some protesters expressed solidarity with the ex-governor, others urged the anti-corruption body to carry out a comprehensive probe into his activities while in office. Eyewitnesses said the development heightened tension around the facility, though the protest was largely peaceful and did not disrupt official operations within the complex. There was mild commotion…
The United States has imposed sanctions on eight Nigerians, freezing their assets and properties over alleged ties to Boko Haram, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), and involvement in cybercrime. The sanctions were disclosed in a 3,000-page document dated February 10, released by the US Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and obtained by our correspondent on Monday. The list also named other individuals sanctioned for cybercrime and security-related offenses. The action follows recommendations from the US Congress, which called for visa restrictions and asset freezes on persons and groups accused of persecuting Christians and violating…
Two members of a Nollywood production crew have been found dead under unclear circumstances at a filming location in Lekki Phase 1, Lagos, prompting a full-scale investigation by the Lagos State Criminal Investigation Department. The victims, identified as Godstime Imeh, a lighting director and Chief Executive Officer of GeeTee Light, and Walter Odediran, a creative director popularly known in the industry as Director Carrinqton, were discovered lifeless inside a parked vehicle within the premises where a movie shoot was ongoing. It was gathered that the incident occurred on Saturday, February 7, 2026. The project was said to be directed by…
The Office of the National Security Adviser has challenged former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, to submit any evidence in his possession regarding the alleged procurement of thallium sulphate to the Department of State Services for investigation. The ONSA, headed by Nuhu Ribadu, was reacting to claims by El-Rufai that the office procured about 10 kilograms of thallium sulphate, a toxic chemical compound, allegedly sourced from a supplier in Poland. Thallium sulphate is known to be a highly poisonous, colourless and odourless substance capable of causing death even in small quantities. El-Rufai had earlier accused the ONSA of being behind…
Tragedy struck on Sunday at the College of Medicine, Idi-Araba campus of the University of Lagos, as a male food vendor identified simply as Lekan lost his life following an electrocution incident. Eyewitness accounts indicated that the incident occurred at a water point located in the southern part of the campus in the morning hours. The deceased was said to have stepped out to dispose of refuse before deciding to wash his hands at the tap. In the process, he reportedly touched a metal railing positioned close to the water source and was electrocuted. A student, who requested anonymity, said…