Former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), and his son, Abdulaziz Malami, on Wednesday pleaded not guilty to an amended five-count charge bordering on alleged illegal possession of firearms and terrorism-related offences filed by the Federal Government. The Department of State Services had initially arraigned the duo on February 3, 2026, on charges bordering on alleged terrorism financing, aiding terrorism, and unlawful possession of firearms. Malami was also accused of failure to prosecute suspected terrorism financiers while in office, alongside alleged possession of a Sturm Magnum 17-0101 firearm and ammunition. Both defendants had earlier denied…
Author: Adeboye
The National Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Surajudeen Ajibola Basiru, has urged opposition parties to stop attributing their internal disputes to the ruling party, insisting that political organisations must take full responsibility for their internal administration. Basiru spoke during a media chat on Wednesday, where he addressed recurring allegations that the APC interferes in the affairs of opposition parties or contributes to their leadership crises. He dismissed the claims, arguing that there was no credible evidence linking the ruling party to the ongoing conflicts within other political platforms. According to him, most of the crises plaguing opposition parties…
The Legislative Council of Ezinihite Mbaise Local Government Area of Imo State has suspended its vice chairman, Matthew Igbokwe, indefinitely following allegations linking him to robbery and involvement in a car theft syndicate in Lagos State. Igbokwe was reportedly arrested last week by operatives of the Lagos State Police Command over alleged participation in a network accused of stealing and dismantling vehicles for resale. His suspension came after the council issued him a seven-day notice of impeachment before proceeding with disciplinary action. The Lagos Police Public Relations Officer, SP Abimbola Adebisi, had earlier confirmed that the council official was under…
Tragedy struck in the Ota axis of Ogun State after a 22-year-old brick moulder, Isreal Ayomide, was allegedly stabbed to death during a disagreement over N200 at a block industry in the Ewupe area. The incident, which occurred in the early hours of April 1 at Ori-Ade Block Industry along Alaka Road, Rosiji community, reportedly followed a brief confrontation between the deceased and a suspect identified as a hoodlum known in the area as “Aboy”. Community members said the altercation, which began at the workplace, escalated quickly before the suspect allegedly pinned Ayomide down and stabbed him with a bottle.…
A United Kingdom court has sentenced a 61-year-old Nigerian, Anthony Adewale Sobogun, to 28 years’ imprisonment for sexually abusing two children over a 15-year period. The Metropolitan Police disclosed on Wednesday that Sobogun, who resides on Thistlewood Crescent, Croydon, was convicted at the Inner London Crown Court after he was found guilty of 17 counts of non-recent sexual offences. The offences, committed between the 1990s and early 2000s, included repeated sexual acts involving a girl below 13 and rape of a minor. Police said the convict was apprehended in the early hours of July 2, 2025, following an extensive investigation…
Operatives of the Zamfara State Community Protection Guards have intercepted a commercial driver allegedly transporting 98 explosive devices and N13 million in cash to a suspected bandits’ stronghold in Maru Local Government Area. The suspect, identified as Abubakar Abdullahi, was arrested along the Gusau–Dansadau Road while reportedly heading towards Bindin village, an area security authorities describe as a hideout for armed groups. Parading the suspect before journalists in Gusau on Wednesday, the Commandant of the outfit, Mohammed Shehu Dalijan, said the arrest followed a routine stop-and-search operation on a Golf vehicle driven by the suspect. Dalijan disclosed that a detailed…
Tension gripped Ngandam village in Nnobi, Idemili South Local Government Area of Anambra State, after suspected cultists brutally killed a young man identified simply as Emeka, leaving his physically challenged father devastated. The victim was reportedly lured to a location on Saturday evening before being attacked by a group of about four assailants said to be between the ages of 23 and 28. Eyewitnesses told PUNCH Metro that the attackers ambushed him around Umuru Junction, where he was overpowered and fatally assaulted with dangerous weapons. According to a resident who spoke on condition of anonymity for safety reasons, the attackers…
A 20-year-old undergraduate of the University of Lagos on Wednesday told a Lagos State High Court in Ikeja that a senior lecturer at the institution allegedly sexually assaulted her in his office at the Akoka campus. The student, who testified as the first prosecution witness before Justice Oyindamola Ogala, gave her account during the ongoing trial of the lecturer, Samuel Obinna Ojogbo, who is facing charges of rape and sexual assault instituted by the Lagos State Government. Led in evidence by the prosecution counsel, A.O. Azeez, the witness recounted that her encounter with the defendant began on August 21, 2025,…
Justice Olubunmi Abike-Fadipe of the Ikeja Special Offences and Domestic Violence Court has sentenced four men, including twin brothers, to 14 years’ imprisonment each for armed robbery, after they entered into a plea bargain with the Lagos State Government. The convicts — Taiwo Ojomo, a driver; his twin brother, Kehinde Ojomo, a security guard; Emmanuel Bamidele, a rewire popularly called “DPO”; and Peter Samuel, a cobbler known as “Mogaji” — were handed the jail terms on Wednesday after admitting guilt to amended charges of conspiracy and armed robbery. The court heard that the quartet, while armed, attacked and dispossessed a…
A 47-year-old tenant, Temitope Elegbede, was on Wednesday arraigned before a Chief Magistrates’ Court sitting in Badagry, Lagos, over the alleged assault of his landlady. Elegbede, whose residential address was not disclosed, is facing charges bordering on assault and conduct likely to cause a breach of public peace. He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against him. The prosecutor, ASP Edet Ekpo, told the court that the incident occurred on April 7, 2026, at about 9:20 a.m. on Panusa Ajobuwe Street, Ilogbo, Badagry. Ekpo alleged that the defendant physically attacked his landlady, identified as Oluwabunmi Otokiti, by grabbing…