Protests erupted again on Tuesday among members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Lagos over the results of the May 10 local government primaries.

Aggrieved party members across several council areas accused party leaders of imposing candidates and ignoring due process ahead of the July 12 local government elections.

Despite receiving over 100 petitions from aspirants, the party’s Appeal Committee has remained silent on its findings.

According to Lagos APC spokesperson, Chief Oluseye Oladejo, the committee was expected to conclude its work last week.

However, speculation is rife that recommendations have been made but withheld.

Protesters in Lagos Mainland and Yaba LCDA voiced strong opposition to what they described as the imposition of candidates.

Similar demonstrations occurred in Agege and Orile Agege.

One protester, Thaorid Owolabi, said the appeal panel had recommended that no valid candidates emerged in Lagos Mainland and Yaba, yet efforts were being made to suppress the report.

“We will stand by the truth using all legal means,” he stated.

Joke Adebanjo, another protester, criticized the lack of internal democracy, saying, “This is not democracy. It’s an insult to the people of Mainland Local Government.

We want transparency and leaders who serve the people, not themselves.”

Some aspirants accused the party of bypassing both consensus and indirect elections, alleging that unauthorized names were submitted without input from aspirants or ward executives—especially in areas entangled in legal disputes over party leadership.

Kafayat Akinpelu, the only female aspirant for Executive Chairman in Lagos Mainland and Yaba, called for justice and greater female representation, aligning her demands with the APC’s stated commitment to inclusivity.

In Agege and Orile Agege, Adetunji Akinyemi, spokesperson for a faction of the APC Presidential Campaign Council, said over 2,000 signatures had been collected opposing the alleged imposition.

“The only lasting solution is for our leaders to agree on a consensus candidate,” he said.

Efforts to get comments from the chairman of the Appeal Committee, Lawal Pedro (SAN), who is also the Lagos State Attorney General, were unsuccessful.

Calls to his phone were unanswered, and a text message sent to him received no reply.

Similarly, party spokesperson Oladejo did not respond to calls or messages.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version