The Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the arrest of four suspects accused of having ties with notorious terrorist kingpin, Bello Turji, following their failure to appear for trial.

Justice Emeka Nwite issued a bench warrant on Wednesday after the Federal Government, through its counsel, David Kaswe, made an oral application urging the court to compel the defendants’ attendance.

The order was made when the matter was called and the defendants were absent from court.

Those affected by the warrant are Musa Kamarawa, Abubakar Hashimu, also known as Doctor, Samuel Chinedu and Lucky Chukwuma.

Explaining their absence, defence counsel, A. M. Lukman, told the court that he had earlier contacted the first defendant, Kamarawa, who assured him that all the accused would be present.

He expressed surprise at their failure to turn up.
Kaswe, however, informed the court that the prosecution was ready to proceed, adding that its witnesses were already in attendance.

He consequently urged the court to issue arrest warrants against the defendants.

Granting the application, Justice Nwite ordered their arrest and adjourned the matter till February 24 for continuation of trial.

The suspects are standing trial on terrorism-related charges filed by the Federal Government against eight persons, including Bello Turji, who is still at large.

Two other defendants, Aminu Muhammad and Sani Lawal, are also said to be on the run.

According to the charge, the accused allegedly aided terrorist activities by supplying food items, drugs, uniforms, building materials and other logistics to terror camps located in parts of Zamfara, Sokoto and Kaduna states.

One of the counts further alleges that the defendants had knowledge that a military gun truck supplied would be used by Kachalla Halilu, described as a known terrorist, to carry out attacks.

The defendants had earlier pleaded not guilty to the charges.

They were denied bail, while the court also ordered special protection for prosecution witnesses at the commencement of trial.

The case was initially struck out in July 2025 due to alleged lack of diligent prosecution but was later revived following an application by the Federal Government.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version