The Lagos State Police Command has taken nine individuals into custody over the murder of Prince Ademola Akinloye, son of the Ajiran of Agungi, Oba Tijani Akinloye.
It was gathered that the prince was shot and killed by gunmen along Chevron Drive, near Ebano Supermarket in the community.
It was also learnt on Wednesday that seven of the suspects were apprehended on Tuesday, February 10, by the command’s tactical squad, while two others had been arrested a week earlier in connection with the crime.
A police source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the arrests were made following intelligence gathering that linked the suspects to the killing of the monarch’s son.
“The nine suspects currently in custody were arrested over their alleged involvement in the killing of Prince Ademola Akinloye.
“The arrests were based on intelligence and an ongoing investigation into the violent incidents,” the source said.
The source also noted that some of the suspects were allegedly connected to the April 18, 2023, murder of Sheriff Salami in Moba community, Ajah.
Meanwhile, the Ojomu Royal Family of Ajiran on Wednesday released a statement affirming its active role in the investigation into the murders of both the prince and Salami.
Signed by Oba Tijani Adetunji Akinloye and Alhaji Yekini Olawale Bakare, the notice said the killings occurred in broad daylight and underscored the importance of holding the perpetrators accountable to ensure the safety of residents.
“The Ojomu Royal Family of Ajiran land wishes to inform the general public that it is very much involved in the ongoing investigation regarding the murders… This process aims to prevent murderers from roaming freely and to guarantee that subjects of our kingdom live without fear,” the statement read.
The family added that the investigation was also meant to provide closure and justice for the victims and their relatives.
The notice further warned the public about the alleged unauthorised sale of royal land.
Reacting to the development, community businessman Bashir Fakorede commended the police for reopening the case and securing the arrest of the nine suspects.
His statement, signed by media aide Ola Mohammed, described the renewed investigation as a positive step toward justice.
