The Edo State Government on Thursday pulled down a building in the Amagba area of Benin City allegedly linked to suspected cultists, as part of its intensified crackdown on violent groups operating in the state.
The property was reportedly used by members of the outlawed Aye Confraternity, two of whom were arrested at the premises in connection with recent cult-related killings.
Five other suspects were said to have fled during the operation.
The demolition was executed by the Special Security Squad, code-named Operation Flush Out Cultists and Kidnappers in Edo State, under the supervision of the Principal Security Officer to the Governor, according to a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary.
Addressing journalists after the exercise, the squad’s spokesperson, Eribo Enwanta, reiterated the government’s resolve to strictly enforce the state’s anti-cultism law.
He stated that the governor had given the security team a clear directive to rid the state of cultism and related crimes, stressing that no individual would be shielded from the law.
Enwanta disclosed that four fleeing suspects identified as Koko, Enas, Sparol and others remained at large and would be apprehended to answer for their alleged involvement in violent activities.
He also spoke on the invitation extended to some Okiagheles (youth leaders) for questioning, noting that two out of three summoned individuals had honoured the invitation and were undergoing profiling.
However, the Okiaghele of Obhagie, identified as Ken Dada, had yet to report. Enwanta warned that failure to comply within the stipulated seven days would attract further action, including a possible declaration as a wanted person.
He dismissed social media insinuations questioning the governor’s authority, insisting that the law must be obeyed by all residents.
In a related development, the security squad sealed a building in the Upper Uwa axis of Benin, said to be the last known residence of Etiosa Akhiombare Joshua, popularly known as Baba Josh.
Joshua is alleged to be a member of the Maphite Confraternity and was accused of masterminding and financing last week’s killing at Wire Road in Benin City.
According to Enwanta, intelligence reports suggested that the suspect had fled to Canada.
He added that the state had contacted Interpol to facilitate his arrest and possible extradition.
The spokesperson further alleged that Joshua placed a N1m bounty on the victim and funded the procurement of weapons used in the attack.
He maintained that all properties linked to the suspects would remain sealed pending their appearance before security agencies, vowing that the government would not relent in its efforts to stamp out cult-related violence across the state.
