Tragedy struck in the Guzape area of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, after a 53-year-old businessman, Adimike Godwin, was allegedly stabbed to death by his son, said to be serving with the National Youth Service Corps.
The incident reportedly occurred on Friday night following a heated altercation between the deceased and his son at their residence.
Sources familiar with the matter disclosed that the late businessman was a prominent member of the Electrical Dealers Association of Nigeria and was widely known in the electrical trading sector for his importation business and real estate investments.
A member of the association, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the deceased owned properties in Lagos and Abuja and regularly moved between both cities to oversee his business activities.
According to the source, the suspect had reportedly returned from a nightclub before engaging his father in an argument over financial matters and alleged unequal treatment compared to his peers.
“The disagreement reportedly escalated after the young man accused his father of being unfair with money and also questioned how other parents provided luxury cars for their children,” the source explained.
The insider further alleged that the confrontation later turned violent, with the NYSC member reportedly stabbing his father multiple times.
The source added that the suspect was currently in police custody while the deceased’s wife had also been invited for questioning as investigations continued.
He said members of the association had taken steps to secure the late businessman’s shops and warehouses to prevent looting or diversion of goods.
“We usually secure the businesses of any member affected by tragedy to avoid losses or interference from outsiders and apprentices,” the source added.
Confirming the development, the spokesperson for the Federal Capital Territory Police Command, SP Josephine Adeh, said the incident was uncovered after concerned individuals raised the alarm when they could not reach the deceased.
She stated that operatives who arrived at the residence found the businessman lying in a pool of blood and immediately rushed him to Karu General Hospital, where doctors confirmed him dead.
Adeh noted that the Commissioner of Police in the FCT, CP Ahmed Muhammed Sanusi, had ordered a discreet investigation into the matter.
She added that five persons, including a relative of the deceased, had been taken into custody in connection with the case.
The police spokesperson urged members of the public to remain calm and provide useful information that could aid the ongoing investigation.
