The Kano State Police Command has arrested three suspected members of a gang linked to the brutal killing of a woman and her six children at Dorayi Chiranchi Quarters in Kano.
The breakthrough followed days of coordinated, intelligence-driven operations carried out between Friday night and the early hours of Sunday, January 18, 2026.
A statement issued on Sunday by the state Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Abdullahi Kiyawa, said the operation was carried out on the orders of the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, and supervised by the state Commissioner of Police, Ibrahim Adamu Bakori.
Kiyawa disclosed that one of the suspects identified as a nephew of the slain woman confessed to orchestrating the attack, adding that the trio belonged to a syndicate responsible for similar violent crimes across the metropolis.
“The principal suspect admitted masterminding the killings and revealed that the gang had perpetrated a series of deadly assaults in various parts of Kano,” the statement read.
Recovered from the suspects were bloodstained clothes, two mobile phones belonging to the victims, a cutlass, a wooden club and cash allegedly stolen during the attack.
The police said further investigations were underway to track down additional accomplices and unravel the full motive behind the gruesome crime.
The arrest comes amid widespread condemnation of the killing of Fatima Abubakar and her six children, whose death sent shockwaves across the state and beyond.
Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf had earlier described the crime as “barbaric,” directing security agencies to hunt down those responsible and intensify surveillance in vulnerable areas.
“We will ensure every individual connected to this atrocious act faces justice,” the governor was quoted as saying by his spokesperson, Sunusi Bature.
Meanwhile, the police command commended residents for volunteering useful intelligence and reassured the public of its commitment to protecting lives and property across Kano State.
