Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Science
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Football
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
YFON
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Science
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Football
Subscribe
YFON
Home»News»Tinubu wore my native attire for one week to dismiss rumours — Shettima
News

Tinubu wore my native attire for one week to dismiss rumours — Shettima

AdeboyeBy AdeboyeNo CommentsMay 19, 20264 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Vice President Kashim Shettima on Tuesday disclosed that some individuals from Borno State once warned President Bola Tinubu against wearing traditional outfits he gave him during the 2023 election campaign, alleging the clothes were spiritually manipulated to influence him.

Shettima, however, said Tinubu dismissed the allegations and deliberately wore the outfits continuously for one week to prove he was unfazed by the claims.

The Vice President made the revelation in Abuja during the public presentation of former Head of State Gen. Yakubu Gowon’s autobiography titled My Life of Duty and Allegiance, where he represented the President.

According to Shettima, the incident reflected the growing level of suspicion and distrust in Nigeria’s political environment.

Drawing a comparison with the past, the Vice President recalled how the Sultan of Sokoto once narrated that his family regularly sent gallons of fura to Gowon at Dodan Barracks in Lagos during his time as Head of State.

He said Gowon accepted the gesture without fear or suspicion, describing it as a reflection of the trust that once existed among Nigerians.

“Sheikh narrated how gallons of fura were sent to General Gowon weekly at Dodan Barracks, and he accepted them willingly because there was trust and confidence,” Shettima said.

“But today, suspicion has crept into our relationships, and it should not be so because we are one people bound by a common destiny.”

Recounting his personal experience with Tinubu, Shettima explained that during the build-up to the 2023 presidential election, he sourced Borno traditional attire and caps for Tinubu as the then-presidential aspirant toured northern states seeking support.

He noted that the President frequently wore the attire during campaigns after his aides confirmed that the outfits suited him well.

However, Shettima said the controversy emerged shortly after the administration assumed office.

The Vice President recalled that after returning from Beijing, China, where he represented Tinubu at the Belt and Road Initiative conference in October 2023, the President summoned him over the matter.

“When I returned from China, the President asked me to sit down and said some people from my place came to him and advised him to stop wearing the dresses I gave him,” Shettima stated.

“They claimed he had been charmed and that he would die, leaving me to become President.”

He said Tinubu immediately dismissed the allegation, insisting the claim made no sense because, at the time the clothes were given to him, both of them were still presidential aspirants and not yet candidates.

“Their story did not add up because when you gave me the dresses, you were not even the vice-presidential candidate and I was not yet the party’s candidate,” Shettima quoted Tinubu as saying.

According to him, Tinubu thereafter wore the outfits repeatedly for one week to demonstrate that he was not influenced by superstition or fear.

“For one whole week, he kept wearing those dresses just to show them he was not fetish-minded.

These are some of the strange games that happen within political circles these days,” he added.

Speaking further at the event, Shettima praised Gowon for promoting national unity and reconciliation during and after the civil war.

He highlighted the establishment of the National Youth Service Corps and the formation of the Economic Community of West African States as part of Gowon’s enduring legacies.

Describing Gowon as “the last man standing” among Nigeria’s post-independence military leaders, Shettima said the autobiography serves as a reminder of the need for Nigerians to preserve the values of unity and mutual trust.

He also urged Nigerians to resist divisive tendencies capable of threatening national cohesion.

The event attracted several dignitaries, including former President Goodluck Jonathan, Senate President Godswill Akpabio, the Sultan of Sokoto Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, and Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang, among others.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleOyo man attacks ex-wife with broken bottle
Next Article NYSC member allegedly kills father during argument

Related Posts

Satellite towns must feel impact of devt – Wike applauds quality, speed of Abuja projects

May 19, 2026

Ondo govt orders closure of selected schools ahead of assembly election

May 19, 2026

Years after, Jonathan calls Emir Sanusi ‘My good friend’ at Gowon’s book launch

May 19, 2026

New Ondo CP assumes office, promises professional, rights-based policing

May 19, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Sports
Sports

BREAKING: Chelsea appoint Rosenior as new head coach

By AdeboyeJanuary 6, 20260

BREAKING: Eagles name 23-man squad for must-win world cup qualifiers

October 3, 2025

JUST IN: Osimhen rejects €75m Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal move

June 8, 2025

Osimhen dances to Yinka Ayefele’s classic amidst family dispute

May 21, 2025

Awoniyi finally out of coma after abdominal surgery

May 15, 2025
Entertainment
Entertainment

‘I didn’t fabricate illness’ — Blessing CEO bows to pressure, apologises

By AdeboyeApril 22, 20260

VIDEO: OAP weeps after discovering wife’s secret US marriage

April 20, 2026

JUST IN: ‘This year will not see my end’ — Allwell Ademola’s final post goes viral after death [Video]

December 27, 2025

Iyabo Ojo becomes president of single mothers association

December 21, 2025

Alcohol consumption not sin – Popular gospel singer, Gaise Baba

August 26, 2025
Finance
Finance

Naira gains ground as CBN intervenes, FPI inflows increase

By AdeboyeJune 23, 20250

Naira weakens further to N1,610/$ in parallel market

May 8, 2025
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok
  • Opinion
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Finance
© 2026 YemieFash Online News Platform. A subsidiary of YemieFash Media. Powered by Hexemty Technologies

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.