The widow of a teacher reportedly killed during the recent abduction attack on schools in Oyo State has appealed to the Federal Government and security agencies to recover her husband’s remains for burial.
Mrs Mary Oyedokun made the appeal following the killing of her husband, Michael Oyedokun, a teacher at Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, who was abducted alongside other teachers and students during coordinated attacks in Oriire Local Government Area.
The attacks, which targeted Community High School, L.A. Primary School, Esiele, and Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, reportedly led to the abduction of between 46 and 48 pupils, students and teachers.
Public outrage trailed the incident after a video allegedly showing the killing of the teacher surfaced online and circulated widely on social media.
The development drew condemnation from civil society groups, celebrities and concerned Nigerians, many of whom demanded urgent action to address worsening insecurity and ensure the rescue of the remaining victims.
In an emotional video said to have been obtained on Friday, the widow, who spoke in Yoruba, pleaded with authorities to help retrieve her husband’s body so he could be buried properly.
“I am begging the government to please recover the body of my husband. I want him to have a burial site for future reference,” she said tearfully.
Meanwhile, security agencies have continued rescue operations aimed at securing the freedom of other abducted victims still believed to be in captivity.
Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, had earlier assured residents that both kinetic and non-kinetic measures were being deployed to facilitate the safe return of the captives.
President Bola Tinubu also condemned the killing, describing the attack as barbaric, while assuring Nigerians that security operatives were intensifying efforts to rescue those abducted and bring the perpetrators to justice.
