The Ondo State Police Command has rescued 12 passengers abducted by suspected kidnappers along the Isua Akoko axis of the state following a late-night attack on two commercial buses travelling from Benue State to Ibadan.
The victims were rescued during a coordinated operation involving police operatives, local hunters, vigilantes and other security stakeholders after the incident occurred in the early hours of Friday.
According to the command, the attack happened around 1:30am when armed men reportedly intercepted two commercial Hummer buses conveying passengers and forced several occupants into a nearby forest.
In a statement issued on Friday by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abayomi Jimoh, the command said security operatives swiftly launched a rescue mission immediately after receiving distress alerts from the area.
The statement noted that police tactical teams, supported by local hunters and other security collaborators, carried out an extensive bush-combing operation across the forest and surrounding difficult terrains where the victims were believed to have been taken.
It added that intelligence-driven surveillance and tracking operations were also intensified to trail the fleeing suspects and secure the freedom of the remaining captives.
“The sustained pressure mounted by the combined security team yielded significant success as 12 kidnapped victims, including the drivers of the affected buses, were successfully rescued alive,” the statement said.
The police added that the rescued victims were currently receiving medical attention and support, while efforts were underway to reunite them with their families.
The command, however, disclosed that operations were still ongoing to rescue other victims believed to be in captivity and arrest the kidnappers responsible for the attack.
It stated that additional tactical and intelligence assets had been deployed to the area to strengthen the rescue mission and manhunt for the fleeing suspects.
Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police in the state, Felix Ohagwu, visited the scene of the incident for an on-the-spot assessment and held meetings with community leaders, vigilante groups and other stakeholders in the area.
During the engagement, the police commissioner stressed the importance of stronger collaboration between security agencies and local communities in tackling kidnapping and other violent crimes across the state.
Ohagwu also commended the bravery and swift response of police operatives, local hunters and other security partners involved in the operation.
He urged residents to remain vigilant and continue providing credible information that could assist security agencies in ongoing operations and broader crime prevention efforts.
The command reaffirmed its commitment to combating kidnapping and ensuring the protection of lives and property across Ondo State.
