Ali Ndume has been ousted as the chief whip of the Nigerian Senate. Mohammed Monguno immediately replaced Mr Ndume. Mr Ndume, from Borno, criticised President Bola Tinubu’s government as loaded with looters in a recent television interview, saying he was ashamed to be a senior member of the ruling party. The development on Wednesday afternoon could further complicate affairs within the ruling All Progressives Congress, which has seen cracks within its ranks over the best direction for the country. Poverty under Mr Tinubu has intensified nationwide, with Mr Ndume blaming the administration for failing to recognise how precarious things have turned in recent…
Author: Adeboye
Police officer arrested for car theft in Kogi The Kogi State Police Command has confirmed the arrest and detention of a police inspector, Aminu Muhammed, for alleged car theft. Confirming his arrest to newsmen, the spokesperson of the police command, William Ayah, said the accused robbed thresidences of an area around his duty station, the ‘C’ Division in Lokoja, the state capital. Ayah added that the Commissioner of Police in the state, Bertrand Onuoha, has ordered a thorough investigation into the alleged misconduct. He disclosed that luck ran out on the inspector following the escapades of a notorious gang who…
A 24-year-old Nigerian, Oside Oluwole, has broken the Guinness World Record of playing a football video game for over three days straight. On Tuesday, on its official X handle, the Guinness World Records announced Mr Oluwole as the new record holder for the longest videogame marathon, playing a soccer game, exceeding the previous record of 50 hours set by David Whitefoot in 2022. According to GWR, Mr Oside, a biochemist currently working as a car dealer, had attempted the record to raise money for a local hospital in his hometown of Ijebu Ode. Although previous gaming record holders played either…
The management of Tai Solarin University of Education has suspended the customary ‘sign out’ and ‘log out’ celebration activities for final-year students indefinitely following the death of a 400-level student, Hammed Ayinla Fabiyi. This step is geared towards ensuring safety and maintaining a serene and secure environment during the final examinations. This was disclosed in a statement released by the university’s ACEO (Information), Bankole Mofolorunso Adegoke, on Wednesday. The PUNCH Online had reported that Fabiyi was killed by suspected cultists after he was reportedly dragged out of the examination hall while writing his final papers. Adegoke said in the statement…
Operatives of the Nigerian Navy Ship Beecroft have arrested eight suspected stowaways during their attempt to board two-speed boats. Unknown to the suspects, the patrol team of NNS Beecroft had sighted them during a patrol conducted on July 13, 2024. With the latest arrest, NNS Beecroft which is in Lagos has so far apprehended 33 stowaways between January and July. A statement on Tuesday by the Director of Naval Information, Commodore Aiwuyor Adams-Aliu, said five of the eight suspects admitted that they wanted to travel abroad. He said NNSBeecroft on July 13, 2024, arrested eight suspected stowaways in two speedboats…
On Tuesday, Governor Bala Mohammed sacked his chief security adviser, Ahmed Chiroma. Mukthar Gidado, the governor’s media aide, disclosed this to journalists in Bauchi. “The termination of his appointment was conveyed to him through a letter signed by the Secretary to the Bauchi State Government, Mr Ibrahim Kashim. “He was directed to hand over the affairs of his office to the chief security officer to the governor,” Mr Gidado said. (NAN)
Former Governor Yahaya Bello has asked the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court to adjourn the ongoing case instituted against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission indefinitely. Mr Bello also asked the court to vacate its arrest order on him, pending the determination of an appeal he filed at the Court of Appeal, Abuja Division. Mr Bello’s demands were stated in a letter by his counsel, Musa Yakubu. The letter was dated July 12 and addressed to the trial Judge, Justice Emeka Nwite, ahead of Mr Bello’s arraignment scheduled for Wednesday, July 17. The erstwhile Kogi governor…
The Jigawa Police Command has confirmed that 14 persons were killed and four others were injured in a ghastly motor accident on the Kano-Kanya road in the Babura Local Government Area of the state. The police spokesman, Lawan Shiisu, said in a statement on Tuesday that the accident involved a truck and a bus and occurred in Kanya village at about 11:20 a.m. “Today, at about 1120hrs, information at the command’s disposal revealed that there was a fatal motor vehicle accident involving a Daf Truck with Reg no: GMB 242 KD, coming from Kanya market. “On reaching an Immigration checkpoint,…
Governor Abba Yusuf of Kano State has approved the appointment of three second-class Emirs of Rano, Gaya, and Karaye with immediate effect. According to a statement issued by the governor’s spokesperson, Sanusi Tofa, a copy of which was made available to PUNCH Online on Wednesday, the new emirates are to serve as second with Kano as first-class emirate. Yusuf named the newly appointed Alhaji Muhammad Karaye as the Emir of Karaye. He was the District Head of Rogo before his latest appointment. Alhaji Muhammad Umar was named the Emir of Rano. He was the District Head of Bunkure before the…
The Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency has assured that it is monitoring the case of the police officer who allegedly defiled a 17-year-old girl. PUNCH Metro gathered that the victim alleged that she was raped inside the Ogudu Police Station in the Ojota area of the state, after the officer had promised to help retrieve her phone, which had been taken by ‘one chance’ robbers on June 16 while she, her grandmother, and her siblings were returning from Ikeja. The mother of the victim, Aramide Olupona, on Friday accused the police of trying to bury the case, saying,…