The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has launched an investigation into two travellers arrested for allegedly failing to declare a total of $461,600 at the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport.
The suspects, identified as Jamilu Shuaibu Waya and Usman Namadi, were intercepted by operatives of the Nigeria Customs Service, Kano/Jigawa Area Command, after arriving from Dubai aboard an Ethiopian Airlines flight on May 8, 2026.
According to the anti-graft agency, the duo initially declared $130,000 and $180,000 respectively at the airport’s currency declaration desk.
However, Customs officers reportedly discovered additional undeclared cash during a physical search. Waya was allegedly found with an extra $120,000, bringing the total amount in his possession to $250,000, while Namadi was said to have concealed an additional $31,600, raising his total to $211,600.
The EFCC stated that the undeclared funds violated provisions of the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.
Speaking during the handover of the suspects to the EFCC, the Acting Customs Area Controller, Deputy Comptroller U.U. Adamu, applauded the partnership between the Customs Service and the commission in curbing illicit financial activities and cross-border cash smuggling.
He noted that the collaboration had continued to strengthen efforts aimed at combating illegal movement of cash and related financial crimes across the country.
Receiving the suspects, the Kano Zonal Director of the EFCC, Assistant Commander Friday S. Ebelo, assured that the commission would thoroughly investigate the case and ensure diligent prosecution.
He said the agency remained committed to enforcing anti-money laundering laws and ensuring offenders faced justice.
Ebelo also commended the Nigeria Customs Service for sustaining inter-agency cooperation, describing such collaboration as crucial in the fight against financial crimes and illicit cash movement.
The commission added that the suspects, alongside the recovered foreign currency and other exhibits, had been transferred to the Kano Zonal Directorate for further investigation and possible prosecution.
