Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Science
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Football
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
YFON
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Science
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Football
Subscribe
YFON
Home»Crime and Security»Details emerge on gunmen attack in Oyo as gunmen kill Islamic tutor
Crime and Security

Details emerge on gunmen attack in Oyo as gunmen kill Islamic tutor

AdeboyeBy AdeboyeNo CommentsMay 18, 20263 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, on Sunday confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during the recent attack on schools in the Oriire area of the state, while authorities were still working to ascertain the number of pupils missing after the invasion.

The governor disclosed this while briefing journalists on the worsening security situation following the attack by suspected gunmen on the affected schools.

Makinde said he had earlier met with service commanders and heads of security agencies in the state to review developments surrounding the incident and ongoing rescue efforts.

According to him, one Islamic Studies teacher was killed during the attack, while security operatives had arrested six suspects within the community and three additional persons of interest linked to the incident.

The governor stated that preliminary findings indicated that some of those apprehended may have served as informants to the attackers.

“The information available to us is that about six people have been arrested within the locality.

Some of them are believed to be informants. We also have three other persons of interest in custody,” he said.

Makinde linked the growing insecurity in parts of the South-West to intensified military offensives against terrorists and bandits in the North-West, noting that armed groups were beginning to move into other regions to evade security pressure.

“With the pressure currently mounted on terrorists and bandits in the North-West, many of them will continue moving southward,” the governor stated.

He warned that states with weak security structures could become vulnerable to attacks by fleeing criminal groups if urgent preventive measures were not taken.

“When pressure is applied in one area, we must also be prepared on this side to either repel or neutralise those fleeing from the conflict zones,” he added.

Makinde further revealed that the state government had adopted a broader strategy beyond military action in tackling the crisis.

According to him, consultations were ongoing with community leaders, elders and religious bodies, including the Baptist Convention, because one of the attacked schools belongs to the church.

“We have resolved not to rely solely on kinetic measures. We are engaging stakeholders, traditional rulers and religious leaders, particularly the Baptist Convention,” he explained.

The governor appealed to residents of the state to remain calm, assuring families of the abducted victims that the government and security agencies were intensifying efforts to secure their safe release.

“We are not treating this incident lightly. Everything possible will be done to ensure the safe return of our children and teachers,” he assured.

Describing the attack as painful and disturbing, Makinde announced that the state government would commence daily press briefings to keep the public informed about rescue operations and security interventions.

The attack has heightened concerns over rising insecurity in parts of Oyo State and the increasing spread of kidnapping and banditry activities into the South-West region.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleSix Ondo Reps lawmakers lose APC tickets in ‘dramatic’ primaries
Next Article Man stabbed to death for intervening in fight at birthday party

Related Posts

Many injured as speeding car rams into tricycles in Lagos accident

May 18, 2026

BREAKING: Court grants El-Rufai N100m bail, imposes strict conditions

May 18, 2026

Elderly churchgoer found dead, unclothed in Lagos bush

May 18, 2026

Joint Nigerian, US airstrikes kill 20 ISIS fighters in North-East 

May 18, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Sports
Sports

BREAKING: Chelsea appoint Rosenior as new head coach

By AdeboyeJanuary 6, 20260

BREAKING: Eagles name 23-man squad for must-win world cup qualifiers

October 3, 2025

JUST IN: Osimhen rejects €75m Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal move

June 8, 2025

Osimhen dances to Yinka Ayefele’s classic amidst family dispute

May 21, 2025

Awoniyi finally out of coma after abdominal surgery

May 15, 2025
Entertainment
Entertainment

‘I didn’t fabricate illness’ — Blessing CEO bows to pressure, apologises

By AdeboyeApril 22, 20260

VIDEO: OAP weeps after discovering wife’s secret US marriage

April 20, 2026

JUST IN: ‘This year will not see my end’ — Allwell Ademola’s final post goes viral after death [Video]

December 27, 2025

Iyabo Ojo becomes president of single mothers association

December 21, 2025

Alcohol consumption not sin – Popular gospel singer, Gaise Baba

August 26, 2025
Finance
Finance

Naira gains ground as CBN intervenes, FPI inflows increase

By AdeboyeJune 23, 20250

Naira weakens further to N1,610/$ in parallel market

May 8, 2025
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok
  • Opinion
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Finance
© 2026 YemieFash Online News Platform. A subsidiary of YemieFash Media. Powered by Hexemty Technologies

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.