Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Science
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Football
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
YFON
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Science
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Football
Subscribe
YFON
Home»Crime and Security»NSA, ICPC boss confirm conversation mentioned by El-Rufai in court trial
Crime and Security

NSA, ICPC boss confirm conversation mentioned by El-Rufai in court trial

AdeboyeBy AdeboyeNo CommentsMay 19, 2026Updated:May 19, 20263 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The trial of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, over allegations bordering on treason and breach of national security continued on Tuesday at the Federal High Court in Abuja, with the prosecution presenting evidence linking him to an alleged wiretapped conversation involving the National Security Adviser.

During proceedings, the prosecution played a 43-minute interview allegedly granted by El-Rufai on Arise News Television, in which he reportedly disclosed that a private discussion involving the National Security Adviser had been intercepted and forwarded to him.

According to the prosecution, El-Rufai also defended the act during the interview, arguing that governments routinely monitor communications.

A prosecution witness told the court that investigators later questioned the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, who reportedly confirmed that the conversation referenced by the former governor truly took place between him and the Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.

The witness added that the ICPC chairman equally acknowledged discussing the matter with Ribadu after investigators played portions of the television interview to him.

The court also heard that the programme anchor, Charles Aniagolu, activist-lawyer, Deji Adeyanju, and a cameraman were invited for questioning as part of the investigation.

According to the witness, Aniagolu confirmed that El-Rufai admitted during the interview that someone intercepted the conversation and forwarded it to him, while insisting that such practices were common among governments.

Statements obtained from Aniagolu and Adeyanju were admitted in evidence without objection from the defence and marked as Exhibits C, C1 and E respectively.

Another statement by an Arise TV cameraman, Ugochukwu Agalayana, was admitted as Exhibit D after he reportedly confirmed setting up the recording equipment used for the interview, although he said he did not pay attention to the discussion.

The prosecution witness further told the court that investigators concluded that El-Rufai made what they described as an “open confession” regarding the interception of the NSA’s conversation during the television programme.

He added that the investigation team considered the alleged act capable of threatening national security and subsequently recommended prosecution.

A preliminary investigation report tendered by the prosecution was admitted as Exhibit F.

However, under cross-examination by defence counsel, Chief Paul Erokoro (SAN), the witness admitted that investigators neither examined communication devices belonging to the NSA nor carried out forensic analysis or obtained IP records connected to the alleged interception.

The witness, however, maintained that such procedures were unnecessary after the NSA allegedly confirmed the authenticity of the conversation referenced during the interview.

He also acknowledged that El-Rufai never directly stated that he personally carried out the interception, but insisted that the former governor repeatedly maintained that the conversation had been tapped and forwarded to him.

When asked whether the former governor could merely have been making political statements during a heated television interview, the witness said he believed El-Rufai meant what he said because he regarded him as a man of integrity.

Following the conclusion of the cross-examination of the first prosecution witness, Justice Joyce Abdulmalik adjourned the matter until June 22 and 23 for continuation of trial.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

DON'T MISS ANY NEWS

Input your email to stay updated with the latest news, updates, and get news as it unfolds across the globe.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleMan hiding inside Ghana-must-go bag at married woman’s house arrested
Next Article LG closes school over abuse of four pupils

Related Posts

LG closes school over abuse of four pupils

May 19, 2026

Man hiding inside Ghana-must-go bag at married woman’s house arrested

May 19, 2026

Armed men who disguised as buyers kill shawarma vendor

May 19, 2026

23yr-old in police net for buying food items with fake transfer

May 19, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Sports
Sports

BREAKING: Chelsea appoint Rosenior as new head coach

By AdeboyeJanuary 6, 20260

BREAKING: Eagles name 23-man squad for must-win world cup qualifiers

October 3, 2025

JUST IN: Osimhen rejects €75m Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal move

June 8, 2025

Osimhen dances to Yinka Ayefele’s classic amidst family dispute

May 21, 2025

Awoniyi finally out of coma after abdominal surgery

May 15, 2025
Entertainment
Entertainment

‘I didn’t fabricate illness’ — Blessing CEO bows to pressure, apologises

By AdeboyeApril 22, 20260

VIDEO: OAP weeps after discovering wife’s secret US marriage

April 20, 2026

JUST IN: ‘This year will not see my end’ — Allwell Ademola’s final post goes viral after death [Video]

December 27, 2025

Iyabo Ojo becomes president of single mothers association

December 21, 2025

Alcohol consumption not sin – Popular gospel singer, Gaise Baba

August 26, 2025
Finance
Finance

Naira gains ground as CBN intervenes, FPI inflows increase

By AdeboyeJune 23, 20250

Naira weakens further to N1,610/$ in parallel market

May 8, 2025
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok
  • Opinion
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Finance
© 2026 YemieFash Online News Platform. A subsidiary of YemieFash Media. Powered by Hexemty Technologies

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.